[NAFEX] seed preparation help

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Nov 4 09:31:39 EST 2002

At 08:48 PM 11/3/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>As I pored over nursery catalogs lately, I noticed that one catalog claims
>that 'Warren' pear is self-pollinating.  Is this true?  Does it actually
>set good crops by itself?  (I have a small yard).
Everything I've ever read here on the list indicates that Warren(and
Magness) are pollen-sterile, and will not pollenize themselves, or any
other pear, for that matter, and that their flowers are not very attractive
to bees, etc., thus, it seems to be pretty difficult to get them to bear,
even when appropriate pollenizers are nearby.
(A bit of semantics here, but the pollenators are the bees/insects, the
trees themselves are pollenizers - unless you're talking about
wind-pollenated species, like oaks & hickories)

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY