[NAFEX] Overlooked apple

Sam Franc franc at oregonfast.net
Sun Nov 3 22:05:37 EST 2002

Ginda Fisher wrote:

> One excellent eating apple that gets overlooked a lot is the McCoun -
> it wasn't even listed in the otherwise excellent "Apples for the 20th
> Century".  I guess that it's only grown locally (in the north east).
>
> It is considered a "Macintosh type" apple, and it has a similar flavor
> to the Mac.  To my palette, it is not as rich in aromatics as a good
> mac, but it gets sweeter and keeps a little better than a mac.  It
> also has a terrific crunch.  It is nearly as crunchy as a honeycrisp,
> but it's softer (easier to chew) and juicier than a honeycrisp.  It
> also holds up better in pie and such than a mac, although it can be
> cooked down to a good sauce.  It looks similar to a macintosh, but is
> not as flat, and has slightly square shoulders.
>
> Does anyone know why this apple is so rarely mentioned?  Does it not
> grow well elsewhere?  It is not a rare apple - there's a huge market
> for it in the Boston area.
>
> Thanks,
> Ginda Fisher

> files, plain text ONLY!
> Message archives are here:
> To view your user options go to:
> http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where
> XXXX at XXXX is YOUR email address)
> NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

I grow Macoun her on the Oregon coast and it is no where as well
producing as it was in CA.
There it was very productive.
Here it is a good bloomer but not too many set.
Those that set have a lot of defects.
They were very clear in CA.
So the location makes a great difference.
Jonamacs do very well here as do macfrees
Sam