[NAFEX] Overlooked apple

Joe and Ellen Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Sun Nov 3 18:44:37 EST 2002

I planted 5 McCoun/MM106 based on the catalog description.  I determined, after

a very long wait for fruit, that the trees were mislabeled.  Two were of
one sort and three were of another.  None of the five trees bore fruit
worth growing....at least in South-central Michigan.

Were any of the trees McCoun?  I cannot tell you.  But it is not an
experiment that I care to try again, even though I can think of no
reason why McCoun would be any more susceptible to mislabeling than any
other reason.

I take that back.  I think "low-runners" are more likely to be
mislabeled than high volume commodities.  There are two reasons.
-One is that the nursery is more likely to run a shortage....."Gee, we
only sold 50 each of the last five years but this year we have orders
for 100.  Let's give them something close.  They will never know the
difference."
-The other reason is that low-runners often share a row with other
varieties.  So the error of missed end-of-one and start-of-another can
happen.  Also, the mother tree might have several varieties on it and
miscollected scion is a possibility.

McCoun is one of the parents of Honeycrisp.  No wonder there is a
similarity in texture.

One of the parents of McCoun is Jersey Black.  Is this a cider apple?
Was the breeder's intent to produce a later blooming MacIntosh?  Many of
the cider varieties are late blooming.

-More questions than answers
Joe in Eaton Rapids, Michigan

--