[nafex] Pawpaw

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Jan 7 13:56:14 EST 2002

Pawpaws need more heat than you would get in the open on the Oregon coast.
You might be able to get them going more if you put something like a mulch
of black rocks under the tree, and put a white background on the north side
of the tree to reflect more light/heat back at the tree, as well as keeping
wind off it more.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com

----------
>From: Sam Franc <franc at oregonfast.net>
>To: nafex at yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Pawpaw
>Date: Mon, Jan 7, 2002, 10:14 AM
>

>FWIW:
>Here on the Oregon coast in zone 8a, pawpaws are a waste of space.
>The trees grow so slowly it will be 40 years before they are big enough to
>bear, I guess.
>Mine were planted as 2 year old pots in 1991 and they are about 6 feet tall.
>I have never seen a blossom on any of them.
>The leaves are pretty but they turn yellow in the fall and fall off quickly
>so they do not present a fall show.
>The trunks are about one inch in diameter.
>The limbs grow upright and are quite small in diameter.
>So they have the appearance of a bush rather than a tree.
>I have never seen them anywhere else so I don't know if this is par for the
>course or not.
>Sam

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM