NAFEX - apricots

Robert_Purvis at nass.usda.gov Robert_Purvis at nass.usda.gov
Fri Feb 22 09:09:33 EST 2002

Hi Ginda,

Puget Gold is an excellent choice for your location in view of your
climatic zone and rainfall situation.   Any one of the Harrow series
apricots--Harcot, Harogem, Harval, Hargrand, Harglow, and Harlayne, in
order of ripening--would be good also since they are from Ontario
province, but I would go for the last three as my choices.   Cummins
Nursery in Geneva, NY sells them but they are out; however, Raintree
Nursery in Morton WA sells Harglow.   Jerseycot (I am grafting some trees
for NAFEX members this spring) and Tomcot (Raintree has it) would be good
choices for early-ripening apricots; Puget Gold, Harglow, and especially
Harlayne ripen a month later than they do.   I've eaten all these except
Harogem and Harval, and they all rank high in the flavor department!

The NY Cooperative Extension Service has published a very good bulletin on
growing apricots, which I have, and if you like I could send you a copy of
it.   Cost for copying and mailing would be $2, and of course I would need
your name & address.

Bob Purvis
MN Ag Statistics Service
651-296-3173