[RibesNAFEX] Solution: Crandall is it R. aureum or R. odoratum

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Tue Nov 20 11:50:36 EST 2001

Hello All,

Been trying to work out my Crandall issue:  Is it "R.
aureum" or "R. odoratum".  So I turned to the NCGR-Corvallis
Ribes Catalog as being a reliable source.

I found that the searches did not work very smoothly, and I
found things in the listings that did not come up doing
searches.

However, I think I found the answer... "Ribes odoratum H. L.
Wendl. (subg. Ribes sect. Symphocalyx)   Synonym of: Ribes
aureum var. villosum DC."

So "R. Odoratum" and "R. aureim var villosum DC" are
synonyms.  Mystery solved.

Does anyone know how to properly search these ribe databases
to indentify good selections in the R. odoratum family?  In
the GRIN system of highly rated ribes, Crandall is the only
selection from the R. odoratum family (only one?).
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/cool/top.ribes.html

Thanks,

Tom
--