[nafex] off the wall procedures

Lucky Pittman Lucky.Pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Nov 15 09:55:58 EST 2001

Amy touched on another couple of things .

Castor bean(Ricinus communis) - I attended an audioconference yesterday on
potential bioterrorism agents/threats, and how best to handle samples
suspected of being contaminated - I'm a pathologist at a veterinary
diagnostic laboratory, and may, at some point be involved; I've already had
several cases submitted from veterinarians who 'suspect' anthrax (if these
folks had paid attention in class or read anything current, they'd have
known that what they were seeing was NOT anthrax, but that's another story).
Anyway, ricin, the toxic principle in castor beans was listed as a
potential bioterrorism agent, though it was placed in Category C, the
lowest of the hierarchy.

There were several posts yesterday on one of the management-intensive
grazing listserves I subscribe to, about using waste wool(wool tags?) as a
mulch around fruit trees.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY