[nafex] Bee Habits

Ginda Fisher ginda at concentric.net
Thu May 10 21:42:30 EDT 2001

I see bumblebees around the strawberry patch sometimes.  Of course, I
also see them buzzing around my window frames - who knows what attracts
a bee.

It is a good thing that bees tend to stick to one type of flower on each
"run", otherwise they would be much less effective pollinators.  If you
catch one before it's started feeding, and drop it onto a food source,
it is likely to notice and tell its sisters.  (I've done this, although
not for years.)

My strawberries have about 100% set, despite plenty of dandelions.  Too
bad they also have about 100% loss due to chipmunks.

Ginda