[nafex] Quince for Pear roostock

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu May 31 23:19:52 EDT 2001

I have a tree of the local species, Crataegus douglasii, with Bartlett, Old
Home, and Fall Butter pears on it.  All except the super vigorous "Old Home"
are semi-dwarf.  I did the grafts nearly 30 years ago.  Dr. M. N. Westwood
tested C. douglasii as a pear rootstock at Oregon State University and found
it made a very good semi-dwarf stock with high tolerance of wet soils.  The
flaw was that it suckered.  I avoid that by never cultivating around the
tree - only mowing.  As long as the roots are not disturbed, it is virtually
sucker free.
-Lon Rombough