[nafex] tent catapillars

Raby, Brian {20-4~Indianapolis} BRIAN.RABY at ROCHE.COM
Thu May 31 18:26:59 EDT 2001

All,

I don't know if this is related but the Indianapolis Star wrote an article
that came out yesterday talking about an invasion of armyworm, denuding
pastures and lawns as they move.  Traps were capturing 600 moths in a week
instead of the usual 10 to 30.   The article is found at:
http://www.starnews.com/print/articles/worm30.html
<http://www.starnews.com/print/articles/worm30.html>

I have found a bit of munching on the terminal ends of my apple trees.  I
can't seem to locate the source of the problem.   May have to look a little
closer to dusk.

Brian
Sheridan, IN

 -----Original Message-----
From: del stubbs [mailto:pinewoodel at hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 5:06 PM
To: nafex at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [nafex] tent catapillars

Areas of Northern Minnesota are heavily infested now. Are they elsewhere?
It's a cyclic event, some say 15 years. Healthy trees are defoliated, then
releaf in July 'like nothing happened', I hear.
In our local area we've just started seeing a handful here and there in the
woods.  While mowing the fledgling apple orchard today i noticed a 3 year
old sweet sixteen with chewed leaves, but no insects obvious. Then my wife
spotted them on the chicken wire enclosure. Perhaps sunning themselves after

this mornings rain?   So we inspected all 200 trees, some are this years
grafts-just showing first leaf. One got it bad, there being so little growth

to take the feeding.
It suprised me to see so many apples with just one catapillar per plant, I
thought they we're typically only in the great bunches.
So it's inspections every day till they give up.
Much discussion of them on the local radio, and so far the concensus is Dawn

detergent spray mix, or aluminum foil trunk wrap with grease.
Mn. Del

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=201601.1431931.3034875.1296075/D=egroupmail/S=1700041
941:N/A=680824/?http://www.disney.com/atlantis> Atlantis is Coming!
Atlantis is Coming!

<http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=201601.1431931.3034875.1296075/D=egroupmai
l/S=1700041941:N/A=680824/rand=410734204>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .