[nafex] Osage orange

Raby, Brian {20-4~Indianapolis} BRIAN.RABY at ROCHE.COM
Tue May 22 14:20:58 EDT 2001

What about the ash trees, green or white?  They are used in baseball bats,
and I have several in my landscape where the trunk is definitely straight as
a arrow.

Brian
Sheridan, IN

-----Original Message-----
From: jhecksel at voyager.net [mailto:jhecksel at voyager.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 1:21 PM
To: nafex at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [nafex] Osage orange

Hi all:

Osage orange is commonly used for custom knife handles for all the
reasons mentioned.

A couple more possibilities would be walnut and Corylus colurna var.
lacera (aka Corylus jaquemontii).  Corylus, filberts, throw many
suckers that meet the dimensional specifications.  The specimens of
jaquemontii that I have seen have a distinctive "muscle" look.  It is
similar to hop-hornbeam but different.

And then there is always bamboo.

> Guess another species Fluffy might consider for a hard, durable,
> beautiful-grained wood would be Osage Orange(Maclura pomifera).
>
> Lucky

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

	  src=