[nafex] Bee Habits

Raby, Brian {20-4~Indianapolis} BRIAN.RABY at ROCHE.COM
Thu May 10 14:40:22 EDT 2001

Don,

We keep about 5 hives ourselves (my wife being the bee keeper), and she
suggested that she collect some bees from the hive and place them on the
strawberry plants to sort of wake them up to the fact that there is a nectar
source nearby.  Did you ever try to do that with your bees,  kind of hand
hold them over to a food source?  Anyway, either the strawberries are
self-fertile or other flying objects are doing the pollinating, but I'm
going to have a full crop this year.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Yellman [mailto:dyellman at earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 12:58 PM
To: nafex at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [nafex] Bee Habits

Brian:
     I have kept bees for over 20 years, and have learned this about
them: each bee only works one type of flower at a time.  Your bee kept
returning to the dandelion because she had been assigned to dandelions.
    That said, my bees have never been too gung-ho for strawberries.
What pollination takes place on strawberries seems to be done by
smaller, feral insects.  They must not have much nectar or other
attraction for classic bees.  Even so, I have never noticed that
strawberries fail to set due to lack of pollination, so they may be, to
some extent, self-fertile, or they benefit from some air pollination.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA