[nafex] Exploring Not Quite Cherries

Sam Brungardt samb at pop.isd.net
Wed May 9 19:48:42 EDT 2001

Here's some info about bush cherries that may be useful in sorting
out the various kinds that are available.  There are several kinds of
bush cherries that northern growers may want to try:
	Nanking, Chinese bush, or Manchu cherry, Prunus tomentosa
(cultivar examples are 'Orient' and 'Drilea')--this cherry, generally
only available as seedlings, is fully hardy in Minnesota and much
appreciated for its fruit, which make fantastic preserves.  Fruit
holds well on the bush after it ripens.  Unfortunately birds are
crazy for the fruit and one just about has to cover the bushes with
netting to be able to beat the birds to it.  The bushes generally
grow about 6-9 ft. tall.  Fruit of the cultivars ranges from 1/2 inch
to 5/8 inch in diameter.
	Mongollian cherry, Prunus fruiticosa, is probably even
hardier than Nanking cherry.  In the far north prairie provinces, it
is about the only cherry-like fruit that can be grown.  It is to my
knowledge only available as seedlings, not cultivars.  The plant is
short, growing about 2-4 ft. tall, and the crimson fruit is smaller
than that of Nanking cherry.  The plants sucker profusely.  The
proprieter or St. Lawrence Nurseries says this bush cherry makes the
best of all preserves.
	Western sand cherry, Prunus besseyi, is intermediate in heght
between P. tomentosa and P. fruiticosa.  It is generally available as
seedlings of the Hansen's Improved Bush Cherry, selected by Prof.
N.E. Hansen of South Dakota State University in the 1930s and 1940s.
However, some nurseries sell cutlivars (examples are 'Brookings',
'Black Beauty', 'Manmoor' and 'Ruby').  Fruit is generally a dark,
reddish black when ripe, although some cultivars have yellow fruit.
Size of the fruit of these cultivars is about 3/4 inch in diameter.
	'Jan', 'Joy' and 'Joel' are selections of the Korean bush
cherry (actually a plum), Prunus japonica , made by Prof. Elwyn
Meader of the Univesity of New Hampshire.  The plants grow 3-5 ft.
tall and the red, cherry-like fruits can be used in pies.  The fruit
is slightly less than 1/2 inch in diameter, and ripens in late
summer, when bird pressure is considerably reduced.  These cultivars
are not self fertilie; polliinate 'Jan' or 'Joy' with 'Joel'.--Sam
Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.