[nafex] screen

H.Dessureault inter.verbis at atreide.net
Sat May 5 14:17:13 EDT 2001

Hello Del,
I used those window screens a few years back to protect small trees (one year old grafts) against field mice and voles over the winter.
I was using pieces about one foot by one foot and sometimes a little bigger depending on the size of the tree.
I folded the screen to make sort of a tube around the stem of the small tree and I used a regular paper stapler to staple the overlap at the top and at the bottom. I put a staple as far as I could reach by inserting the bottom smaller part of the stapler inside the tube, and then I put one staple near the edge, bringing the overlap thighter. I did the same at the top. Four staples to keep the overlap together. I removed them in the Spring and put them back in the Fall. The staples were solid enough to keep things together but not enough that you could not pull it easily apart.
They work, but were not 100 % proof. There is always a crafty little devil to sneak in one way or another. I was using mulch in my garden, and partly because of it I suspect, it was turning into a haven for voles which sometimes even chewed beets and carrots.
After that, I got a few cats.
After four years, I am very happy with the cats solution. They do a pretty good job and cover a large area.

PS: I have seen mice damages on two inches diameter apple trees. Voles takes bigger chunks and one year I had extensive damages to one apple tree about 3 " in diameter, which, on top of it, was painted with white latex mixed with lime. An act of desperation, indeed.
Though, I am under the impression that prunus are not a mouse favorite food. Has anyone ever experienced mice damage on prunus?

Hélène