[nafex] cortland

Don Yellman dyellman at earthlink.net
Thu May 3 01:12:11 EDT 2001

Yes, Waite, it means that they bloom and bear out there on the tippy-tippy end of the branches, often on smaller twigs.  If you routinely prune this
stuff off, you lose your blooms.  I have found that, even when the clusters are thinned to one fruit, they tend not to size up as well as apples on
spurs or interior branches.  For some reason, they also seem more vulnerable to insects and diseases out there, and if they do put on any size the
branches droop down bigtime.  I don't much like the dang things, but I've got several of them, and many of the "antique" apple varieties seem to come
only with this style of bearing.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA