[nafex] Hawthorn compatability

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Sep 19 09:02:40 EDT 2000

I've had experience grafting pear to hawthorn, with good results.  The
native Crataegus douglasii makes a very good semi-dwarf stock.  Just be sure
not to disturb the roots, which can make it sucker.  Seems like it would be
a short step to grafting apples on it, if you used an interstem of Winter
Banana, which is graft compatible with pears.  That is, you can graft pear
on apple with a Winter Banana interstem, so why not apple on hawthorn with
WB interstem?
-Lon Rombough