[nafex] copyright issues

Ginda Fisher ginda at concentric.net
Tue Dec 12 20:48:11 EST 2000

Snipping a paragraph, and sharing it with a single person who just asked
you about that topic, in a noncommercial setting, with attribution, is
almost certainly legal under "fair use" of copywrited material.  (You
can do quite a lot under fair use.)  The issue in this case is
politeness.  NAFEX has members who don't want their material distributed
this way.  I would suggest that these members indicate that (perhaps by
including a note in their signature) but I don't think it is
unreasonable to respect that.

I agree that republishing a long piece for money, or without
attribution, is beyond the pale, and I assume the members of this list
all know that.  Making an official policy against theft won't stop it.

Ginda