[Market-farming] storms

karen sutherland karen at rootsfarm.info
Thu Oct 26 16:37:28 EDT 2017

Thanks, Deb. Right now don't need seed as my lovely seed collection has to
get used since no refrigeration to help it keep. Would love an ice cold
anything-- even an ice cube.  Without trees and leaves for shade, tropics
can get warm.....

All best wishes , karen

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 3:56 PM Deb Taft <deb at mobiusfields.com> wrote:

> So glad to hear from you, Karen.  What a mess.  Sending good vibes for a
> rapid recovery on all fronts.
>
> Need seed or anything else we could send you?  Is it possible to get
> packages?
>
> Thanks, Mike, for shouting out to Karen through the list.  I miss this
> community.
>
> Warmth to all,
> Deb
>

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Road's End Farm <
> organic87 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
>
>> Karen! very glad to hear that at least you're unhurt and have water and
>> shelter.
>>
>> I don't know what to say about what sounds like nearly unimaginable
>> damage, in Dominica and elsewhere. But that is an amazing ending to your
>> email, full of song and stars.
>>

>> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think
>> Fresh-market organic produce, small scale
>>

>> On Oct 25, 2017, at 7:32 PM, karen sutherland wrote:
>>
>> Ah, Mike. Finally have some limited and erratic email capacity via cell
>> phone. Thanks so much for your sweet note.  We're coping. Scenario is
>> unbelievably awful but we are luckier than many -- Alive, uninjured, house
>> with roof, water, used to hard work and in the country, not city.  Farm and
>> home garden destroyed, along with all Dominica's agriculture but we are
>> making strides with the massive clean-up and have been replanting short and
>> midterm crops at home garden to help with current and continuing food
>> crisis. Farm accessible only with Herculean effort to get over and through
>> the downed and hanging rainforest trees.  May be months yet before
>> electricity returns.  Weather continues to be freaky.-- crazy wind, blazing
>> sun and no shade as most trees gone and those that survived stripped of
>> everything except trunks. But green starting to spread as trees leaf out.
>> Even flowers on the denuded fruit trees that survived. And the nights are
>> full of frog and insect song and, with no lights, full of stars.

>> address and password):

> address and password):

Karen Sutherland
Roots Farm Organic Produce