[Market-farming] Barbara Kingsolver — To Young Farmers.

karen karen at rootsfarm.info
Sun Apr 16 09:58:43 EDT 2017

Some gems from her as usual richly studded writing:  “….you’ll sink deeply into one place, learning by heart the insides and edges of its weather and soils. Its pollinators and birdsongs will be the poetry and music of your days….[Consumers will] want to know why your tomatoes cost more than the ones they buy at the store—the ones picked by exploited labor, grown on some faraway land that’s being poisoned to death….Prepare to rectify one of the most ridiculous, sustained oversights in all of human exis­tence. When we told our youth that farming was a lowly aim compared with becoming teachers, doctors, or lawyers, what were we thinking? We need teachers for just a few of life’s decades. If we’re lucky, we’ll see a doctor only a few times a year, and a lawyer even less. But we need farmers every single day of our lives, beginning to end, no exceptions. “  See:  http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/04/08/barbara-kingsolver-cheers-on-young-farmers.html?via=desktop&source=facebook

Best wishes to all,
Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs