[Market-farming] when to get interns or employees?

Kathryn Kerby kakerby at aol.com
Sun Oct 23 14:50:29 EDT 2016

Once again we're weighing the decision on using interns and/or employees for
the 2017 season.  I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it "pencils
out" or not, because of all the variables.  On a philosophical facet, I
really like the idea of training a new generation of interns, such that the
training is their "pay".  But I hate a lot of the practical realities of
that arrangement - totally green people coming onto the property and needing
to be held by the hand for at least the first month or so.  Then just as
they become valuable, they leave.

Employees present other pro's/con's, namely the better I pay them, the
better the quality of personnel I can attract and keep. Yet meeting payroll
becomes a bigger obligations and challenge.

Are there rules of thumb for when to bring on either interns or employees,
such that on one side of a threshold it doesn't make sense, while on the
other side of that threshold it does?  I'd appreciate any suggestions,
advice, been-there-done-that sorts of wisdom.  Thanks.
Kathryn Kerby

Frogchorusfarm.com

Snohomish, WA