[Market-farming] Ginger

Etienne Goyer etienne at lejardinduvillage.ca
Sun Oct 23 14:42:44 EDT 2016

When you say you planted late, when was that?  I was planning on
sprouting on heat mat in early March, and then translant in 5 gallons
pots in a heated greenhouse in early April, aiming for an harvest around
this time in October.

On 16-10-23 10:57 AM, Richard Stewart wrote:
> We had mixed results.  This was my fault though.  I planted late.  We
> will still end up harvesting about 200 pounds or so.  It should have
> been twice that which makes me very sad.  I wanted to honor our sales to
> the local brewer first and as we harvest to meet their needs any overage
> gets sold at market.  The late planting also means we are late getting
> our autumn planting of greens in root crops into he high tunnel.  Double
> dose of the bad news in that regard.
>
> Going to have a better strategy in 2017 for getting them in the ground
> earlier.  I was gun shy after two years of polar vortexes hammering us
> late in winter.  Other the a couple frosts in spring, the warming trend
> began in February and never stopped.  Bah on me for not recognizing it.
>
> Richard Stewart
> Carriage House Farm
> North Bend, Ohio
>
> An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855
>
> A Chefs’ Collaborative Member
>
> (513) 967-1106
> http://www.carriagehousefarmllc.com
> rstewart at zoomtown.com <mailto:rstewart at zoomtown.com>
>
> You can follow us on:
>
> Facebook @ Carriage House Farm
> Twitter @CarriageHsFm
> Instagram @carriage_house_farm
>
> */P/*lease consider the environment before printing this e-mail
>

>> On Oct 23, 2016, at 10:31 AM, Mike Rock <mikerock at mhtc.net
>> <mailto:mikerock at mhtc.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Well, ginger was a waste of time this year.  Late germination, slow
>> growth and small yields.
>> Anyone else have better luck?  Weird year.
>>
>> ---

>> address and password):

> address and password):

Etienne Goyer  -  Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com

"Changer le monde, une carotte à la fois"