[Market-farming] overwintering ginger treatment?

karen karen at rootsfarm.info
Sun Oct 23 14:34:26 EDT 2016

I really haven’t dealt with it in pots, but we have a very serious dry season here so plants can go even 2 months without a drink and still come back.  Other years, they may get a splash now and again and also come back just fine.  How much of such ability is due to natural partnerships in a natural soil that may be missing in a Northern pot????? And, I haven’t paid attention to differences in productivity under such varying conditions.  (Gave up formal plantings of turmeric (for at least a while)  and have gone Fukuoka style.)

I think I’d try letting a few potted ones go dry for a few weeks, then start watering.  And, I’d also experiment with variations, but avoiding for at least a while, the sumptuous watering that so inspires turmeric rebirth (and rot if soil conditions wrong).

All best wishes,

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
Cochrane, DOMINICA
767-449-3038 (before 7 P.M.)
karen at rootsfarm.info

On Oct 23, 2016, at 2:21 PM, Road's End Farm <organic87 at frontiernet.net> wrote:

On Oct 23, 2016, at 2:05 PM, karen wrote:

>   Again, plant life cycle is to die back to roots when mature, then spring again months later.

Karen, how much water should be applied to potted ginger during the die-back period?

I did water that plant some; but don't know whether it would have done better or worse if I'd let it dry entirely for a while.

Thanks --

address and password):