[Market-farming] Ginger

Richard Stewart rstewart at zoomtown.com
Sun Oct 23 10:57:05 EDT 2016

We had mixed results.  This was my fault though.  I planted late.  We will still end up harvesting about 200 pounds or so.  It should have been twice that which makes me very sad.  I wanted to honor our sales to the local brewer first and as we harvest to meet their needs any overage gets sold at market.  The late planting also means we are late getting our autumn planting of greens in root crops into he high tunnel.  Double dose of the bad news in that regard.

Going to have a better strategy in 2017 for getting them in the ground earlier.  I was gun shy after two years of polar vortexes hammering us late in winter.  Other the a couple frosts in spring, the warming trend began in February and never stopped.  Bah on me for not recognizing it.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855