[Market-farming] Berries

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Wed Nov 2 22:25:44 EDT 2016

On 11/2/2016 at 10:16:48 PM, Wyatt Jones wrote:
> Raspberries, also mostly growing primocane types though I do have a few
> flourocane varieties.  I'm thinking about getting "Vintage", which is an
> earlier Primocane type that is supposed to have excellent flavor though as a
> newer variety is still propriety and as such still high in price and not
> widely available.  Anybody grown it and is it worth the extra cost?

I don't know this variety. I grow:

Polana: primocane, good flavor, firm berries, no trellising needed. Very early.
Caroline: primocane, the best flavor I know of, flowering tips are brittle and break without proper handling (so, not a good PYO variety).
Joan J: Going into our second year, so cannot comment on qualities yet.
Prelude: Primocane and floricane, good flavor, variable berry size. Floricanes begin the season for us in mid-July, and primocanes finish it in late October.

We are in eastern MA, and all the above are hardy here (though that remains to be confirmed for Joan J).

Regarding blueberries and acid soil, I heard an interesting talk indicating that the low pH requirement was in order to mobilize iron, and that with higher iron in the soil, the pH needn't be low. you might investigate this if your soils are alkaline and you want to grow blueberries.

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm
  www.hopestill.com