[Market-farming] crows

Ken Bezilla kenbez at hotmail.com
Sat May 21 11:36:23 EDT 2016

-- Put the Bird Scare flash tape in place as soon as the corn's planted -- once birds have the habit of eating something good, they're less likely to be scared off by the flash tape

-- On our own farm, we put bird scare flash tape about every 4 or 5 rows, and use scrap rope for the rows in between, having the rope ~12" off the ground -- birds don't like having a rope looming over their heads while they eat, since it makes a fast take-off difficult.

-- Years ago, a friend tried out having a crow-shooting scarecrow.  He sat on a chair by the corn a few times, fired at the crows with a shotgun to scare them and let them know what he looked like, then he took his (old) clothes that he'd been wearing, used them to make a scarecrow his height and size that sat in the chair with a stick the same size as the shotgun.  Seemed to work for him!

Ken Bezilla
central VA