[Market-farming] cucurbits

Burke Farm burkefarm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 18:30:35 EST 2016

Hi all,

For several years, I've noticed that I can grow any cucurbit I want..
as long as it's not a c. maxima.

Any ideas what could be going on? Do they have higher / different
fertility needs, some kind of virus sensitivity, are first on the menu
for cucumber beetles / squash borers, or what?  Other growers in my
region seem to be able to grow at least some of them.

When I try to grow them, they do form a few fruit, but they are small,
rot on the vine before sizing up or ripening fully, and the vines die
early.  It's been several years since I've even given them a chance.

Lisa Burke
Farming Engineers
central IN z 5
clay loam soil