[Market-farming] Hi Tunnel Ideas? more than innovations...

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 00:21:13 EST 2016

Bill,
Good to hear from you again.  We've had a high tunnel 7 years now.  Mix of
ideas below:
Best books for HT ideas, in my opinion, are "Walking to Spring" by the
Wiedigers.  And Eliot Coleman's "Winter Harvest Manual" and "Four Season
Harvest".  Lots of good ideas in each of these.  Pam Dawling has good info
on this topic in some chapters.

Instead of trying to be first at our market, we try to be last with a
number of 'summer' crops.  (I'll be late to my funeral.)  Can earn more on
late veggies after market gluts are over.
Allows a 'cool house' management in the late winter and spring, growing
crops that don't mind hard freezes in March or April.  Also allows time off
for a spell in the summer, if desired.

Spinach and strawberries are two crops which grow and sell well in our HT,
in the spring.  Can really pack cabbage in tight, and make lots of
sourkraut.

As Ken noted, can produce copious, beautiful seed in a small place, very
robust flower stalks and seed set, though roll/up down sides may help with
pollination.

A place to sit, soaking in the winter sun, good for my soul.  Wood chip
paths work well for this.
Don't forget winecap mushrooms in such paths.

Harvey Ussery grows worms in his paths, in 2' x 2' x 8' ? boxes set in the
paths, with 'trap' doors which open up.  Feeds these worms to his chickens
all winter.  We have a narrow bathtub sunk in a path for this.

My great uncle gardened his strawberry and potato beds into his 80s, even
when he could no longer walk.  Took the riding mower back and forth to the
beds, to still work that soil where he spent his whole life.

What will we all be doing in our HTs in our 70s, 80s, 90s?
Richard Moyer
SW VA, where the figs in our HT are likely freezing to ground level tonight.