[Market-farming] Potato Digger

Aaron Brower aaronbrower at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 08:57:43 EDT 2016

I've read digger manufacturers say that this was possible but I would be hesitant to try it. It would all depend on your bed set up and on your digger. I have a 1-row pto digger that works great but it would not be gentle enough for me to harvest beets or carrots. Also, we grow those in beds and the digger isnt wide enough. If you are looking for machinery to make your harvest more efficient, I would recommend an undercut bar.Here is an example:Undercutter, Carrot Lifter with a 3 Pt. Hitch & Toolbar

|   |
Undercutter, Carrot Lifter with a 3 Pt. Hitch & Toolbar
 Harvest Your Garlic, Carrots, Parsnips and More with Woodward Crossings' Undercutter and Carrot Lifter with ...  |  |

As far as cleaning beds after tilling, the digger does a great job of mixing up the soil and leaving any detritus on top. However, I typically think of that as a negative. I would prefer less disturbance and to incorporate any debris, but I suppose it all depends on your end goal.
Aaron