[Market-farming] seed germinating problems

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Apr 9 14:44:46 EDT 2016

On Apr 8, 2016, at 11:07 PM, Carol W Larsen wrote:

> We use Vermont Compost Fort-V exclusively for seed starting and our experience has been superior.

I've been using McEnroe potting soil for years now. That's also a compost based mix (I expect the Vermont Compost is also good, but I have a slightly easier time getting the McEnroe mix). I don't add any nutrients until, in most cases, around six weeks; and then I use a fish emulsion/seaweed mix from Saltwater Farms.

I don't sterilize trays and inserts between uses, with the live compost mixes; I just wash them out with plain water.