[Market-farming] Snowing! and another tomato question

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Sat Apr 9 13:44:54 EDT 2016

On Apr 8, 2016, at 8:05 PM, Roots Farm wrote:

> 2nd Goliath hybrid.  Does well even in tropics without sacrificing taste,
>
> Karen
>
> On Apr 8, 2016, at 4:12 PM, gofish54 at centurytel.net wrote:
>
> For an indeterminate, I like Goliath hybrid.  For determinate, Red Deuce or BHN 589.

Interesting. How does Goliath do up north? (gofish, where are you?)

On Apr 8, 2016, at 8:49 PM, GarlicGrower wrote:

> Hi, Folks!
>
> Zhong Shu #6 is a stereotypical round red tomato that tastes like people expect a tomato to taste.  Unfortunately, it is late season.  But if anyone wants seeds, email me directly with your address and I’ll send  you some.
>
> Dorene

Thanks; but late season isn't what I'm looking for on this. It may work nicely for others, though.

On Apr 9, 2016, at 12:17 PM, andrea davis-cetina wrote:

> My favorite standard reds are
> Cosmonaut Volkov
> Glacier
>
> Andrea
>
> Quarter Acre Farm enjoying some rain
> Sonoma, CA

Also interesting.

High Mowing catalog says Cosmonaut Volkov is prone to cracking and has green shoulders. Is that true in your experience? -- the Fedco picture you linked to does seem to show green shoulders.

Glacier's saladette size, according to descriptions, not full sized slicer; and apparently also has green shoulders.

-- What I'll be trialling this year will be Mountain Merit and Ruth's Perfect; but of course I don't know yet whether either of those will work out. I'm dubious about the flavor descriptions of Mountain Merit; but a friend of mine in the area grew it last year and said it wasn't up to the heirlooms but was pretty good. IME tomato flavor depends a whole lot on the specific site, also.