[Market-farming] Heritage wheat, Facebook etc

Mike Rock mikerock at mhtc.net
Fri Apr 8 20:19:07 EDT 2016

NICE website there.

I'm sure glad I posted the other day and woke this place up.  Thank you
all for coming back.

Mike

Missed everyone.

The heritage wheat has my ear as I have four Meadows mills and a whole
flour mill of scourers, bolters and 'stuff'.  We got one of the 24"
mills up a few weeks ago and it's grinding great.  There is a local mill
up north of here and he wants us to get all our mills running, and the
bolters, as he can't begin to supply local need. He buys in organic hard
red, soft white and some various heritage wheats and for now we get from
him, almost at his cost.  He has an old mill cleaner that really does a
job on wheat out of the field. y Amish buddy is raising  Einkorn for
this.  He has one of my mills at his place.  We ground corn first on
it.  Regular old Farm and Fleet feed corn.  I gave some to a lady and
she flipped out about the fresh flavor.  Made bread and grits/polenta
out of it.

Making a stainless and wood bagging set up now.  Getting my self rising
mixer, wooden, back from Alabama soon.  It's been in storage down there
for several years, just haven't made the trip since I bought it.

Mike

On 4/8/2016 6:55 PM, Beth Spaugh wrote:
> There is an active heritage wheat/artisan bakers group in Vermont/New
> York. http://www.growseed.org/index3.html is a contact.  New England
> was the breadbasket of the US before westward expansion.  Of course,
> breads were less fluffy then.
>
> On 4/8/2016 7:40 PM, Ken Bezilla wrote:
>> I know a Georgia farmer who grows Turkey Red hard winter wheat, and
>> they're selling it to bakeries for bread making, so they're growing
>> wheat that's good for baking in a real hot and humid area.
>>
>> Ken Bezilla
>> central VA

>> address and password):
>
> --
> Beth Spaugh
> Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY
> http://rhomestead.com       http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead
>
> "How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." -
> Wendell Berry
>
> "Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances
> Moore Lappe
>
> It's not that nice guys finish last. They have a whole different notion
> where the finish line is. - unknown

> address and password):

---