[Market-farming] What percent of your time do you spend weeding?

S Sohn sarah_sohn at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:11:58 EDT 2016

Thanks so much for the terrific description, Beth--very helpful!!

On Apr 7, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Beth Spaugh <lists at rhomestead.com<mailto:lists at rhomestead.com>> wrote:

Getting the ground cover to stay put during spring winds is a trick, that sometimes doesn't work.  We have started waiting until June before putting the ground cover down because it seems to stay better then.  We got the 8" staples from Nolts which work fairly well.  Also use fence posts laid down, heavy pipe, rock bags, whatever we have.  The staples are great where you walk alot since they are out of the way. THe shipping on them is a lot.  And hired help taking up the ground cloth in the fall seem to be oblivious to the staples, leaving them for me to find the next year or during fall cover crop prep.

I like to have the ground cloth come up a couple inches onto the plastic, and staple it through the plastic.  Our beds aren't always that even though.  No, the plastic hasn't torn from the staples.