[Market-farming] What percent of your time do you spend weeding?

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Wed Apr 6 22:13:38 EDT 2016

Don't know the time, but I quickly figured that putting ground cloth
between plastic beds really pays for itself in saved labor.  Ground
cloth at Sam's Club, $30 for 225 x 4 ft.  Can pay for itself in one day.

Got a huge chunk of used silage tarp from a dairy and am hoping to use
that some to reduce plastic mulch usage.  First few years with just me,
by hand, going to farmers market, we built up a huge weed seed bank.

On 4/6/2016 9:40 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:
> I'm not really sure what percent of my time I spend on weed control.
> Some of it's tractor cultivation, some of it's cultivating with the
> rototiller, some of it's wheel hoe, some of it's handweeding, some of
> it's mulching with plastic or straw (which both serve other purposes
> as well), some of it's mowing -- and some of it, as Elaine said, is
> done while doing other things; I'll often weed while harvesting, or
> while checking crops to write up the harvest lists, or while checking
> an irrigation zone, or just while enroute from one area to another.
>
> I'm sure it's more than 5%, though. And I'm also sure it's not enough.
>

> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think

> address and password):

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

Wendell Berry