[Market-farming] What percent of your time do you spend weeding?

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Wed Apr 6 16:04:11 EDT 2016

I'll try to lively things up with a question I posed to a group of eastern Mass farmers as well:

I am curious how much time others spend on weed control, and what level of success this brings. As I think about all the aspects of my farming operation:

soil prep
planting/transplanting
weeding
harvesting/handling
selling and marketing
equipment maintenance
record keeping
(probably forgetting something important)

I probably spend less than 5% of my time controlling weeds, and wouldn't say I have them under control.  I expect this is too little time, but wonder what a better allotment would be.

Looking forward to your replies.

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm