[Market-farming] May produce

Todd Lister toddlister1 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 19:37:01 EDT 2015

I plant the heck out of the hoops in the fall. All your winter hardy
greens, carrots, beets, kohlrabi etc. One very important detail for me is
getting them started before late Oct here in Georgia. A young plant that is
established and has decent foliage will continue to grow and be harvestable
through the winter. I'm still taking kale, beets and chard to market that I
planted in late Oct.  If the pants are small going into winter then they
can't get enough photosynthesis to make mass and you'll wait till spring
for the plants to pop, and then they'll bolt with the early heat of late
spring. When that happens the tomatoes and peppers are in 4" pots waiting
for the inside rows to be vacated. The high tunnels can and should be a 12
month affair. Check out Eliot Coleman's "Four Seasons Harvest" He has four
or five excellent books and lots of great YouTube pieces.