[Market-farming] May produce singing nettles

Deb Taft deb at mobiusfields.com
Sun May 10 15:34:51 EDT 2015

I don't wash them; I leave that to the chef/final user.  I don't think they
need washing and wouldn't for my own use, but that's me.

I wear gloves and long sleeves and get right in there.  For the next round
I harvest in a couple of days, I'll bring a milk crate to sit on in the
middle of the patch.  Felt a little too precarious to be leaning over all
those stingers.

You only harvest the top one or two leaf sets; I use a good pair of
scissors and just snip them off.  I guess the lower parts are more fibrous
and don't taste as good, and once they flower it's too late. I'm going to
try mowing them in about a week to see if I can still get a high quality
harvest on the re-growth.

I think it would work for a market setting...if you had an educated
clientele.  Might start with a small quantity, some good recipe/nutritional
info handouts, and see if your more adventurous customers would go for it.

For the chef, I deliver in a large clear bag so everyone knows what's in it
once it's in the cooler!  If I were selling them at market I would keep
them loose in a crate so they stayed fresher, maybe mist them occasionally,
and pull out as much as the customer wanted with tongs into clear bags.
Oh, and some Danger! signs :)

There are probably folks on this list who have a lot more experience with
this than I do...