[Market-farming] Greenhouse vs hoophouse

Dave and Kathy Campbell dkcampbell at southslope.net
Mon Mar 2 09:43:20 EST 2015

Well, for what its worth.

I put up a 20'x20' FarmTek polycarbonate "greenhouse" 4 years ago, and am
very happy with it.  I extended it out onto a former concrete feeding floor
from the big doors of my plant shed, and re-arranged the back (supposedly
enclosed) to open directly into the shed.  It took me all summer to erect,
working alone.  Most of that time went to cutting holes through the concrete
floor where the greenhouse piers were to go.  It is important to measure and
build everything exactly right so that all the parts, especially the poly
sheets, fit properly.  With my kit, though, only some metal uprights and
overlapping front and back sheets had to be cut to size.

I did not get the heat/vent stuff to make my extension into a true
greenhouse, so it is more of a hoophouse with sturdy arched poly covering.
The sun makes it warm inside during the winter days, but my high-low
thermometer tells me it gets about as cold as outside during winter nights.
If I were using it to start seedlings, or to grow winter produce, I would
need an additional draped cover over my raised beds in there.  In summer it
gets very hot inside, and we keep the doors open and water 1-2 times a day.
The result is a tropical climate in there, perfect to grow a fine crop of
basil.

I also have built a FarmTek fabric covered building.  The fabric lasted for
7 years before holes wore through (constant rubbing as the wind worked it).
FarmTek sold me a new cover, now in place going on 4 years and holding up so
far.  It is important to continually re-tighten the tensioning as the fabric
works and stretches.  I now use that structure as a shelter for my beehives.

==Dave Campbell / Tiffin IA / Zone 5b