[Market-farming] Greenhouse vs hoophouse

Road's End Farm organic87 at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 2 09:26:54 EST 2015

I do most of the germinating indoors, on heat mats for those crops that require it, and move flats out to the greenhouse once the seedlings come up. The very earliest starts (onions, parsley, etc.) stay inside until the unheated greenhouse is fairly reliably above freezing -- the polycarbonate provides several degrees of frost protection.

I have automatic vents in the greenhouse. So far that's been enough to prevent overheating. Mine is located where it gets shade in the middle of the day once the trees leaf out.