[Market-farming] Greenhouse vs hoophouse

Richard Robinson rrobinson at nasw.org
Mon Mar 2 08:57:09 EST 2015

Some factors to consider:
1. seed starting requires electricity, and ideally, a relatively constant (warm) temperature. Indoors is great for that. OTOH, you'll need less lighting outdoors.
2. Small hoop houses or greenhouses aren't hard to heat up (and overheating may be a bigger issue), but they don't stay warm without major thermal mass.
3. A house attached to the side of the barn will help with temperature modulation, but risks humidity concerns against the barn siding.
4. Seedlings especially need to be protected from overheating. Ideally, a small house would have automatic ventilation.
5. Polycarbonate will be slightly better insulation than plastic, but controlling air infiltration is likely to be more important than that difference.

  Richard Robinson
  www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
  Hopestill Farm
  www.hopestill.com

On 3/2/2015 at 8:46:15 AM, GarlicGrower wrote:
> Hi, Folks!
>

> Right now I’m doing seed starting in our spare bedroom, but I need more
> space.  Husband is looking at cost and wants to put in a kit hoophouse.  I’d
> like to convert space next to the barn to a small polycarbonate greenhouse.
>

> Thoughts?
>

> Dorene Pasekoff
>
> Hill Creek Farm
>
> 75 Creamery Road