[Market-farming] Epsom salts for Melons?

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 09:05:23 EDT 2015

Doreen,
My certified organic inspector seeks documentation of mineral deficiency,
before allowing its application.  I agree it's a sound principle.

Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate.  Do your soil tests identify
deficiencies of either of these minerals?

(Certain corn growers in my area do include sulfur in their fertilizer mix,
per state ag recommendations for our soils.)

It's possible the foliar spray may make those minerals more available
during melon formation and ripening, even if present in sufficient amounts
in soil.

If you do use Epsom salts, please leave at least a few plants untreated,
please quantify any differences.  And let us know...

Glad you are asking about this!
Richard
Out to plant more peppers