[Market-farming] Ginger

Roots Farm karen at rootsfarm.info
Thu Jan 1 15:01:50 EST 2015

Our non certified but grown to organic standards ginger sells for $4/lb (that’s $4 EC = approx $1.50 U.S.) here in Dominica where ginger is a common crop (although not usually grown organically).  There are two types grown here: the large Hawaiian and a smaller, knobbier, more potent “local” ginger.  I haven’t heard of or experienced disease problems with either type.

A blue type — interesting! Never heard of but am thinking that the presence of the blue may indicate presence of additional anti-oxidants that could be used as a marketing plus— if true.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite marketing stories. Canned salmon was initially pink.  Attempts were made to introduce/sell red canned salmon, but fell flat.  Until the company started advertising “So and so’s Red Salmon, Guaranteed not to turn pink. “

Best wishes for a health-full, joyful, peaceful New Year to all.

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
Cochrane, DOMINICA