[Market-farming] Ginger

David Paysnick davepays at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 12:52:19 EST 2015

I have had great success using food-grade organic ginger but know that it
comes with serious long term disease risks.  It is key to use Hawaiian
ginger (as opposed to Peruvian - the only other organic source in the
Northeast US that I am aware of) and procure it as fresh as possible.
Minimizing the time spent in refrigeration is important.

As a former produce manager of a food co-op, I would recommend talking to
your produce manager and asking if they can procure you a case (or whatever
you are seeking) as soon as a fresh batch arrives at their distributor.
This should give you the best chances of good germination if you choose to
purchase food grade rather than seed grade ginger.

On Thu, Jan 1, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Road's End Farm <organic87 at frontiernet.net>
wrote:

> I was getting $4 per half pint at a fairly low-priced farmers' market --
> that's about $16 / lb. I had so little it was hard to judge the market last
> year -- I could certainly have sold more.
>
> I tried grocery-purchased organic ginger one year; I had almost no
> germination, and poor growth from what did germinate. I suspect it depends
> on the particular batch.
>

> -- Rivka; Finger Lakes NY, Zone 6A now I think
>

> On Jan 1, 2015, at 11:51 AM, Richard Stewart wrote:
>
> We stopped ordering from Hawaii.  Too many issues and seed crop shorts on
> orders even if we got ours in early.  We just go and find organic food
> grade ginger and plant it.  It is way cheaper and so far, knock on wood, we
> have not seen any diseases pop up.
>
> I need to be able to supply at least 100# this next year to a brewery.
> Ginger has proven so popular that we will most likely be putting in a new
> tunnel JUST for the ginger.  Then I have two tunnels to rotate back and
> forth in case I do get a soil borne disease pop up.
>
> That is the only way it seems I can do this part of our business in
> reliable fashion.  Two years ago I got a split mix of yellow and blue
> ginger (as a substitute for the lack of yellow due to crop failure) and the
> blue had to be deep discounted to move.  This year we are going to
> experiment with a bit of value added cottage food production and do a
> candied ginger.
>
> Probably not exactly what you were asking, but I figure I would share.  I
> am curious what folks int he Midwest are selling their ginger for.  We are
> floating between 16 and 12 per pound.  I'd like to increase it a bit and I
> think the market will bear it a bit.  I figure if we run out quickly and
> the demand is still there I can squeeze a bit more profit out of it.
>
> Richard Stewart
> Carriage House Farm
> North Bend, Ohio

> address and password):