[Market-farming] heat cables

Beth Spaugh lists at rhomestead.com
Mon Feb 16 21:04:14 EST 2015

There was discussion that some folks used roof gutter deicing cables for
bottom heat.  How warm do these get?

  I just set up an 8 x 16 foam "table" with 200 feet of the cable.
Before putting plants on figured I'd better test. The cable barely gets
warm, certainly not hot.  I was planning on using this in my unheated
hoophouse to keep seedlings from freezing at night.  I can't see that it
will put out near enough heat, fast enough.  I have it on a "cube"
thermostat, to come on at 35 and off at 45.  I was planning on keeping
the whole thing full of flats, and that the heat would come up through
the plugs, making nice warm roots. Seriously doubting this will happen.

Hopefully after this week we will be done with frequent below zero
nights.  I know that with frequent daytime sunshine, under row cover it
seldom gets below 15.  Because of condensed ice on the bottom of the row
cover.  If it doesn't freeze I don't know that I'll get that extra
protection.  But I do have three layers of ag-19 row cover plus a light
plastic, and can lay foamboard over the top (sides just row cover and
plastic).

Those who have used these -  please chime in with your experience. Thank
you.

--
Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY