[Market-farming] Asparagus Containers

Mark Weinheimer mrw601 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 16:27:05 EDT 2015

Dorene,
I used to grow a bit of asparagus at home.  I found that keeping the
asparagus in glass containers with water worked best for me.  They were
easier to clean, imparted no taste, and looked more professional and food
safe than plastic.  I used bread pans for a few bunches, or baking pans for
larger displays.  I got them at the dollar store.  A bit of a pain to
handle, but sooo much easier to clean.  The aspargus exudes a sticky
material that sticks to plastic like epoxy, even in water.  I always
harvested in bushel baskets,  making sure the spears all laid one way, and
short enough to fit in the basket, the stem end of the basket lined with
newspaper, and a pail full of water to wet burlap bags to cover the
baskets, once they were full.
Mark Weinheimer