[Market-farming] Bulk items for selling produce at a market

Kakerby kakerby at aol.com
Wed Apr 8 12:04:05 EDT 2015

Has anyone had any luck finding those specialized micro-perforated greens bags that were available for a short time, say, 10 years ago?  They seemed to be the neatest thing, allowing for things like lettuce and romaine leaves to breathe without suffocating, and they allowed limited moisture transfer back and forth so that the leaves neither wilted nor got moldy. I'm not talking about the bags with big holes that you can stick a pencil through.  This was almost a micro-mesh plastic fabric. Some grocery stores sold their greens in these bags for awhile, but then they disappeared.  I wondered if somehow they were pulled off the shelves due to some regulatory compliance or food safety thing, but I never saw any mention of them as being a proven or theoretical source of contamination.  Yet I haven't seen them in years.  Anyone remember seeing those, and if so, recently?  I'd love to get my hands on those again.  Greens lasted a lot longer in the fridge with those bags.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA