[Market-farming] drain for washing and packing shed

Andy Fellenz artisanfarms at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 08:22:57 EDT 2014

I pull the tops off of the drain several times a year and muck out the
drain.  I have a filter piece at the transition to the drain pipe that
catches larger chunks before the water gets in the drain pipe.  This seems
to catch most of the soil and all of the large particles/pieces of
vegetable matter before the wash water is actually in the drain line.
Occasionally, when we are washing leafy crops, waste will accumulate on top
of a portion of the drain as the crew strips off bad leaves and misses the
scrap bucket when they drop them.  Even when this happens, enough of the
drain is exposed to ensure that the wash water drains away.

Right now, the water just drains off the side of the building and down the
hill.  I'll be putting in a piece of perforated drain line this fall to
take it away from the building.  When I do this, I'll install a small catch
basin at the transition to allow even more soil to settle out of the water
before the wash water enters the perforated drain line.

Andy