[Market-farming] Re shadecloth, bean beetles

Pam Twin Oaks pam at twinoaks.org
Wed May 21 13:41:32 EDT 2014

On shadecloth, here's my 2 cents:
Knitted is more flexible/drapeable than woven - easier on hoops.
Don't get PVC if you want to put it over a hoophouse, as the PVC reacts
with the poly. PVC is pretty evil environmentally anyway.
We bought 50% for our hoophouse in central Virginia (May to Sept), but I
think 45% or even 40% would be better. 50% is a bit gloomy - edamame don't
grow well in the reduced light. But peppers like some shade. Another case
of "it depends".
We bought from gemplers.com.
On the hoophouse we use the clip-on grommets, rope, and metal hooks
fastened into the baseboard. In the field we use spring steel hoops and
clothespins. Odd piles of rocks every 6' to hold the edges down. It doesn't
flap as much as rowcover because lots of breezes can blow through it.

On bean beetles and the suggestion of rowcover to keep them out: ProtekNet
mesh might be even better. It lets air through and you can see what's
happening to your plants without removing it. We buy from Purple Mountain
Organics.

We're having a big load of striped cucumber beetles this year. . .

Pam
--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a
Few Acres
sustainablemarketfarming.com
facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming<https://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming>