[Market-farming] Pellet stove?

David Paysnick davepays at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 07:12:31 EDT 2014

I am well aware of these issues.  Here in New England, pellets can be a local, sustainable and renewable resource.  Last year they were about 30% cheaper than propane.  This year they are about 55% cheaper than propane (per million BTU's).  I am looking to use a combination of propane and pellet/corn heat.  I am also aware of the increased management needs of pellets vs propane.  The intention is to have a corn/pellet stove that will supply about 75% of my maximum heat load, paired with a propane furnace that will supply about the same.  This will give me seasonal choices based on price, as well as provide an effective backup heat source either way.  Many greenhouse studies have been done here and the payback on the stoves tends to be about 3-5 years with the cost savings over oil or propane.  While renewable fuels may (will) rise in cost, oil and propane most certainly will.  I appreciate the advice, but I am really looking for advice on specific manufacturers and units.
Thanks,

David Paysnick
Greenfield Community Farm
34 Glenbrook Dr.
Greenfield, MA 01301
www.justroots.org
413-271-2772
Sent from the field, please excuse    typos and punctuation errors!