[Market-farming] Winter Root Prices

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:41:53 EDT 2014

Gary,
Here in SW VA we charge $3/# for winter root crops, and sell all we bring
to winter markets, 2x per month.

While not on your scale, I still ask chefs: If I can sell all these roots
to my customers at market for $3/#, should I deliver them to you for less?
So the couple of chefs we sell to, they buy at market early.

As for baby carrots, have never done that because they grow exponentially
the last few weeks to full size, so why take so much less money when most
of the costs of production are already in the crop? So the few chefs I've
dealt with buy full size carrots from us; though cultivars on the small end
of carrot size.

Not sure I'm helping you, except to point out: Why take less money from a
chef when you can sell it now or later for so much more?
BUT, some growers would rather be flogged than deal with markets, so many
customers, etc.  And certain chefs will pay a premium on other items
throughout the season, so some crops MAY be worth selling at lesser prices
to build/maintain the relationship. But use your records to do the math!

I realize that for certain items and scales/models of production, wholesale
accounts are needed.
Richard Wiswall in "The Organic Farmer's Business Handbook" shares
considerable data on his carrot production, including wholesale and retail
pricing.  And the assumptions and details of his production costs and ways
to record/analyze these.

Another factor in all this, local winter veggie production is a specialty
item that deserves a price premium.  If it was easy, more growers would be
doing this.  With a few customers, I've explained what it took to get the
crops displayed before them to market through this frigid winter, and price
has not been an issue.

Hope I'm not being too ornery in this.  But those who choose not to grow
their own winter food but still want local, it's not too much to ask a
premium for the labor and expertise of the ones making it happen.

Others please weigh in on pricing of specialty, local items, esp. off
sesaon.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA; peas planted for Patrick yesterday!