[Market-farming] When to plow under cowpeas as a cover crop

Brian Luton bcluton at aol.com
Sun Jun 8 18:35:08 EDT 2014

I've never grown cowpeas but generally speaking a legume fixes nitrogen right on through flowering and into pod development.  It then starts drawing nitrogen to produce protein and fat in developing and maturing seed. So if you're optimizing nitrogen I'd probably mow it or plow it at flowering or shortly thereafter.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone